Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Euclidean Distance Matrix using R in Power BI

I have a dataset of ~6000 rows (individuals) and ~40 columns (attributes). I want to scale these attributes and use the dist R function to create a pairwise similarity/distance matrix comparing every single row against one another. I have a functioning R code to produce this in R Studio:

*Read in data and set working directory etc.... (i've not included some transformations I did in R because I replicated these in the applied steps in the Query Editor)

data_scaled<-scale(dataloaded)

max<-nrow(dataloaded) # for testing - number of people to process (i.e. first n rows)

# compute the distance matrix using dist()
dataEuc_dist<-as.matrix(dist(data_scaled[1:max,], method="euclidean"))
View(dataEuc_dist)

(Tried with and without the last line: "View(...)"

When I use the above in the Run R Script a table is produced with only two columns ("Name", "Value") and a "This table is empty" notification. Is there a separate line needed to force the creation of this dataset to output as a new table? Is it possible to do this in the R Script creator, because an entirely new dataframe is being created rather than transforming the already existing table?

EDIT: I also know that I can do these actions within R and transfer the table, however, i'd like to make the process automated if possible for future data refreshes.

Not entirely sure how this function works in power BI so any input would be great!
Thanks!
Gareth

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you should omit the

View(...)

line in your r script.

Instead the last line has to return a dataframe.

Maybe this will help

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50025814/convert-matrix-into-dataframe-in-r

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.