Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Essentially a "Paste Values" the final result of a long, complicated query.

I'm curious if there's a way to essentially "Paste Values" the final result of a query.  The excel analogy would be a long string of iferror vlookups that finally lead you to your looked up value.  And then once you have it, you don't need to do the lookup formulas anymore.  You just paste values over the formulas and reference the pasted value so your model is not bloated.  You just needed it that once.

I have a similar issue with a Power BI model where I have a daisy chain of merge queries because the ID value I needed is housed in several different, unconnected, large data sets (....yeah...fun....).   Then once I find that ID, the actual substance of the report takes place.  I only need to run that daisy chain of merge queries once a month.  Then for the rest of the month I use that ID for it's own query work.  But everytime I point to that ID for something, it requires a load of all the query work that got me that ID (which is looooong and inefficient).  Even though I have "Include in Report Refresh" and "Enable Load" disabled.  To be clear, I need this ID in the query editor, not just built into relationships afterwards.

Unfortunately the dataset is in the millions of rows so exporting it as CSV and re-importing it into a new Table seems impractical.  I just want to be able to use this ID field and have the query work before stop trying to load up (except the once a month when I refresh it).  

Ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I am confused about your requirement. If you want to replace the values , you could try creating parameters. If not, please post some data and the expected results that we will understand your actual scenario clearly.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft  Let me try to explain it another way.  I have a calculated column that has dependent queries that I don't want to refresh (because it takes too long).  But when I reference that calculated column, it automatically refreshes dependent queries (unchecking "disable load" and "include in report refresh" doesn't work for this).  So I'm looking for a way to either not refresh dependent queries, or just abandon the dependent queries altogether and "paste" the values of the calculated column.

I can try to bring in a dataset but it's conceptually irrelevant to the issue I'm having.  It could be any caculated column that relies on dependent queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.