Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MJR
Regular Visitor

Essbase Member Name vs Alias

Hello all

Newbee here.  I have connected my essbase cube to PowerBI - no issues with connecting.  However, when PowerBI creates the tables it uses the alias table for member names.  I want it to use the member name.  

Has anyone every been able to address this?  I suspect no as I have scrubbed the internet for answers and found none.  Hoping someone here might have knowledge if its even possible.  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Annie_Do_1413
Frequent Visitor

Hello , 

You can create another table alias with no alias and assign it as an active table in Essbase Administration Service . 

Annie_Do_1413_0-1672307802612.png

After that , when reconnecting PBI , it gets member name only 🙂

Try by urselft. 

Thanks!

Annie_Do_1413
Frequent Visitor

Hello , 

You can create another table alias with no alias and assign it as an active table in Essbase Administration Service . 

Annie_Do_1413_0-1672307802612.png

After that , when reconnecting PBI , it gets member name only 🙂

Try by urselft. 

Thanks!

NikhilChenna
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @MJR ,

Can you check the below link ,

https://knowepmbi.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/essbase-using-mdx-return-member-name-instead-of-alias/

Regards, 
Nikhil Chenna 

Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Ashokrajm
Frequent Visitor

Hi @MJR, did you get any soulion for this. Even we are having same issues.

I did not get any solution as of yet.  Somehow we need to reference the member properties name.  I just dont know where or how.  I suspect there is a way to do that in MDX but I dont know.  Would prefer to do it right in the query itself.  

Ashokrajm
Frequent Visitor

I did it with MDX but not with PowerBI(in Qlik with MDX we can swtich). But with PowerBI MDX is not working as expected. Hope someone can help.

Same here.  Did it in Qlik.  So far my work around is to load data with the aliases and have a separate table with the names to reference.  Not my prefered method but should work until I can figure out how to pull names.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @MJR ,

It may be that the wrong table was identified in Power Query, can you provide a screenshot of the table and error related information?

You can do it in Transform in Power Query

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-query-overview

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When you connect to Essbase by PBI, it disables the Transform button. 

Annie_Do_1413_0-1672305122521.png

Such a sad huhu. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.