Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vdburg
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error with visual objects with too many values

Hi,

When there are too many values in an visual object it just randomly filters out some channels and shows a total different thing than what it is suppossed to.

I have made up a table with 999 channels, with some random values. When I just select 52 of those values it works ok:

Screenshot_Too_Many_Values_OK.JPG

But when I just leave all of them, the chart just removes some values and shows different proportions:

Screenshot_Too_Many_Values_Wrong.JPG

It shows a small icon warning that it has too many values. I have tried to make clear to every user that when this happens they should be careful. But they don´t see it and it leads to many misinterpretations of the data. And although I could teach everyone to be careful the Power BI team should come up with a different solution. The chart doesn´t have to show all the channels, but it should show in descending order those with the highest upon to the lowest values, but still calculate the proportion over all values.

I consider this an urgent issue to address. It doesn´t make sense to offer a tool with many amazing features but that in some cases causes misinterpretations of the data, which can lead to organizations to make wrong decisions.

I just found out that I posted the same issue almost two years ago. I am amazed by Power BI as a tool and excited about every new feature the Power BI team launches every month but it dissapoints me very much that this issue hasn´t been addressed.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @amitchandak ,

thanks for your workaorund suggestion. Unfortunately I can´t apply it because I have a live connection to a SSAS multidimensonal cube, so I can´t apply DAX functions to it. There might be other workarounds, but I think the Power BI team should have a look at it, as I don´t consider that solving it should be such a big issue.

@vdburg , Check if there an idea already vote for that. else create new

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.