Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

fabo
Advocate III
Advocate III

Error while connecting to SQL database after PBI last update

Hi everybody.

Before last Power BI (PBI) update I was able to correctly connect to a SQL database from my organization using SQL Server connector in PBI. Today I updated PBI to the latest version (2.54.4970.961 64-bit (Enero-2018)) and now my tables don't refresh and I get this error:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider,error: 0-The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

Same issue occurs if I try to add a new data source from the same database.

Despite this error in PBI, I still can properly connect and query that same SQL database using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (version 12.0.5538.0).

Any suggestion will be welcome, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fabo
Advocate III
Advocate III

Update:

After making a lot of attempts and failures I finally got it solved and I found what was the problem. 

Before the lastest update (January 2018) there were 3 login methods when connecting to SQL database: 

1. Windows
  2. Basic
  3. Organizational Account

Back then, I used to login using Organizational Account option.

a3.jpg

Captura.PNG

Now, with the latest update the third option changed to: "Microsoft Account".  So when I tried to login using this method, the validation proccess failed.  Now, if I use the first option... voilà! I am able to connect to my organizational SQL server again! Smiley Very Happy

It would be nice if someone could add some information about this change.  I searched the web and I didn't find anything.

Greetings!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
deanj20

Wanted to add that there is a new issue we received a fix from MS from, looks fairly recent (starting Feb 13 2024). We were getting "certificate chain not trusted" errors on servers for Power BI Reports that previosuly worked no issue, no change anywhere.

Documented here, search "PBI_SQL_TRUSTED_SERVERS": https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sql-server

Can confirm after 3 days of trial and error, adding this environment variable (PBI_SQL_TRUSTED_SERVERS) to "Environment variables for your account" with the problem server name did the trick. I did have to clear out the Connection data (File > Options and Settings > Data source settings - select DB and Clear Permissions). Then add the data source back.

Adding this to all the top Google hits to hopefully save others the pain.

thanks for the link your the best. Others answers are **bleep**

Anonymous
Not applicable

It also worked for me. Thanks for sharing!

fabo
Advocate III
Advocate III

Update:

After making a lot of attempts and failures I finally got it solved and I found what was the problem. 

Before the lastest update (January 2018) there were 3 login methods when connecting to SQL database: 

1. Windows
  2. Basic
  3. Organizational Account

Back then, I used to login using Organizational Account option.

a3.jpg

Captura.PNG

Now, with the latest update the third option changed to: "Microsoft Account".  So when I tried to login using this method, the validation proccess failed.  Now, if I use the first option... voilà! I am able to connect to my organizational SQL server again! Smiley Very Happy

It would be nice if someone could add some information about this change.  I searched the web and I didn't find anything.

Greetings!

Awesome. Thank you for the post and solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How were you able to get that menu screen to select the options for signing in again? I'm stuck in a loop of it just giving me the error message and I can either edit and/or retry and it will just continue to fail and I do not get the option to change my login method.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Power Query Editor ->Data Source Settings(on the Ribbon) -> Edit preferences->Edit Credentials->Choose Windows credentials to access the database

SamiAssi
Frequent Visitor

Actually it was working fine with Microsoft Account (and multifactor authenication on Office365) up to when i updated to the latest version (March 2019). I also had to change my password around the same time.

I reinstalled the prior PBI version, but the issue persisted.

So i'm not sure if it's related to the PBI version or it's due to the password change that wasn't correctly synched with Office365.

Switching to Windows Account solved it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.