Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when trying to refresh a dataset

Hi Experts

I cannot see the wood for the trees - i.e. where the error could be...

See image of Error when trying to refresh Dataset Power Bi Serveices

error.PNG

see image of data model

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your sample picture, it seems that you faced the problem that the xxx column does not exist in the rowset. Here are two possible reasons for this error.

The first is that the xxx column has been deleted in the original data source so that the Power BI can’t find it anymore. Another is that you have applied some table transformation operations in the Power Query like “Piovit columns” or “Unpiovit columns”, which makes the data model changes. This will also cause this kind of problem.

Here’s a blog that explains this problem in detail and gives some solutions, you can take a look:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Refresh-error-The-xxxx-column-does-not-exist-in-the-rowset/ba-p/1832793

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
starsoul
Regular Visitor

Even I am facing the same issue. Getting below error message without the name of the table. I have around 100 table in the model and most of them have a description field as a column. Now don't know how to find which table is causing this issue. Everything works fine in Power BI Desktop app. Last time when I encountered this problem, I started deleting tables 1 by 1 I figured out which table is causing service to fail. Then I refreshed that column manually and published it again and it got fixed. But now again am getting this issue. I can't delete tables every time it's very time consuming. Cant you share the Table name which this column doesn't exist. Database used in the back is MYSQL.

Data source error: The 'DESCRIPTION' column does not exist in the rowset.

Cluster URI: WABI-INDIA-WEST-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Activity ID: xxxxxxx

Request ID: xxxxxxx

Time: 2021-08-21 11:07:35Z

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your sample picture, it seems that you faced the problem that the xxx column does not exist in the rowset. Here are two possible reasons for this error.

The first is that the xxx column has been deleted in the original data source so that the Power BI can’t find it anymore. Another is that you have applied some table transformation operations in the Power Query like “Piovit columns” or “Unpiovit columns”, which makes the data model changes. This will also cause this kind of problem.

Here’s a blog that explains this problem in detail and gives some solutions, you can take a look:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Refresh-error-The-xxxx-column-does-not-exist-in-the-rowset/ba-p/1832793

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous so in the service it is connected to the same data source?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous does it refresh fine in Power BI Desktop?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, no issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.