cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Error when trying to connect to SharePoint list

I am using the January 2019 version of PowerBI to create reports to post on a Report Server.  I've been able to connect to a number of SharePoint lists, but I'm having trouble with one in particular.  I keep getting this error - 

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (An error occurred while processing this request.)
Details:
DataSourceKind=SharePoint

We've messed with my SharePoint access to no avail.  Anybody have any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Error when trying to connect to SharePoint list

@chadkress ,

Please install the latest version and check if this issue persists.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm posting to a server maintained outside of my area that is on January 2019.  If I upgrade to the latest, will it be compatible?  We've had some issues with that in the past.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

@chadkress ,

This could also be a http request issue. Please check if the sharepoint list request url is valid. In addtion, if this issue persists and is very urgent, I would suggest you to catch the http trace using fiddler and create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

@chadkress ,

Have you solved your issue by now? If you have, could you please help mark the correct answer to finish the thread? Your contribution will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This did not solve the issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The URL is valid, I can see and connect to other lists within the same SharePoint location, just not the one I need.  I'm not familiar with Fiddler, but I'm assuming I would need an admin to run it?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I found out that the SharePoint list in question is built using a Nintex workflow.  Is that perhaps the reason for the connection issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors