Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when refreshing tables that have a "Merge" in their Applied Steps

I inherited a dashboard from a former coworker and I'm trying to refresh it.

Unfortunately, I cannot refresh the data because certain steps are crashing. For example, this crash occurred because Power BI was unable to remove the columns following a merge.

The weirdest part about these seemingly random failures is that I can perform all the steps (including the one that failed) in the Power Query editor.

Does anyone know why the "Refresh" option is failing?

I get this error on all the tables that have a Merge in their Applied Steps in the Power Query Editor:

arturos_0-1670601266468.png

The steps applied to this table are:

arturos_1-1670601843897.png

Like I said, all the tables that have a Merged Queries step are failing, yet the table they are being merged with is refreshing correctly.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mikelytics Thanks. I have published the report to a workspace. How can I refresh the data there?

Hi @Anonymous 

here

Mikelytics_3-1670920641797.png

it might be necessary to provide credentials again under settings

Mikelytics_4-1670920695470.png

Mikelytics_2-1670920560577.png

IF the refresh is successfull then you know that performance is an issue OR your query is to complex for the power of your machine. After successfull refresh you can download the file again by going into the report and then use the following functionality.

Mikelytics_5-1670920804426.png

Mikelytics_7-1670920840103.pngMikelytics_8-1670920842101.png

Mikelytics_9-1670920862632.png

However you should take a look on the queries to optimize them. Sometimes I get the feeling that Power Query does not like it when you access the same source in different queries and then merge them together. I can not proof it but I would say I sometimes get errors in this scenarios. So take a look on your queriy and try to simplify it as also described in the error message.

so also when the refresh is not successfull in the service then you definitely have to rebuild the ETL logic.

Hope it helps. 🙂

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

yes, in the Power BI service. It is really not optimal but it helps you to find out whether performance is an issue.

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

LinkedIn

Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

I once had a similar problem where I could load everything in the Power Query editor and when I wanted to load it into the model then it crashed like in your case. My guess this time was that the reason was the complexity of the transformation in combination with the power of my local machine BECAUSE guess what .. when I upload they filee into the service and refreshed the dataset it worked. Can you please try this? 

so 

1. upload your file 

2. refresh dataset in service

3. download file again

I know its frustrating but this could help you to identify whether its because of your laptop performance.

If thats the case then you have two options 

1. after doing your changes do the refresh in the service as described above

2. rebuild the data transformation (maybe there is potential to make it more efficient with less conflicts)

Best regards

Michael

LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mikelytics!

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by uploading the file? Should I publish it to a workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.