Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when merging tables only for inner join

Hi All,

Hoping for some guidance here. I am trying to merge 2 tables together in Power Query using a text field to do the join. When I do an inner join I get an error saying "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't conver to Number. Details: 6/27/2020". No where in either table am I trying to convert a date field to a number so I have no idea where this is coming from. Additionally when I do a left or right join with the same tables I don't get an error.....

Has anyone run into a similar issue. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Kindly change the data type to text. before you do the inner join

ChangeType.png

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already did that in a previous step..

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I'd double check that after the join it's not tried to put in an automatic changed type row first

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any guidance on how I can do that? 

When I do to look in the advanced editor for the new query after the merge this is all I can see..

let
Source = Table.NestedJoin(COMBINED_SALES_DATA, {"Commission Customer Number"}, #"Customer Number to ED Agent", {"Customer Number"}, "Customer Number to ED Agent", JoinKind.Inner)
in
Source

and output of the query just shows this

jmorris07_0-1600358980257.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.