Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when loading tables with foreign keys

I ma trying to connect Power BI to a localhost MySQL database. When a table in that database contains a foreign key I get the following errors when i want to load the data:

Expression.Error: The index is outside the bounds of the record.

Details:

Record=Record

Index=-1

and

Expression.Error: The column 'employeenumber' of the table wasn't found.
Details:
employeenumber

I have two tables, orders and employees. The orders table contains the columns: ID, ProductName, Price, Employeenumber

The employees table contains the columns: Employeenumber, firstName, lastName.

orders.employeenumber is a foreign key of employees.employeenumber.

The first error relates to the employees table, the second error relates to the orders table.

I think that if the first error gets solved the second error also gets solved automaticaly.

When i remove the foreign key from the talbe the data loads normaly.

How can i resolve these errors and still keep the foreign keys?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took a while but I finally found the problem.

Apparently Power BI doesn't like it when you use capital letters in your column name.

So I change employeeNumber to employee_number and no more errors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took a while but I finally found the problem.

Apparently Power BI doesn't like it when you use capital letters in your column name.

So I change employeeNumber to employee_number and no more errors.

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, the issue may due to when one of the selected table names ends with a string that matches a schema name in the database, you could refer to below link and try the mentioned workaround:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2769339/index-was-outside-the-bounds-of-the-array-error-when-you-import-data-f

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm having some issues applying the solution you mentioned.

For starters the link you provided is about excel 2013. I wanted to use this to get the exact same workaround proces. The problem is I only have excel 365 business which doesn't support mysql connections.

As mentioned it has to do with schema names and table names having the same string. But I have no idea what a schema name is and what a table name (I'm new to sql). I do know the difference between a schema and a table but I don't know how to see the distinct names between the two.

Schema MySql workbench.PNG

In the image above I have a screenshot of the navigator in MySql Workbench. At the top it says schemas. 

Does this mean that everything here is a schema name. Or does is everything under tables a tablename.

If the later is true then that means the problem isn't about table and schema names because none of them are similar.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.