Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Atmonie
Frequent Visitor

Error when importing an Excel

Has anyone had this problem when trying to import and Excel workbook in Power Bi? I have been able to upload other files from this same location, even moved this file to my destop and still got the same issue. I have open the workbook and selected my data as a table and gave it a name but still recieve this error. 

Error importing.png

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Atmonie , Under tranform data, edit datasource, try to correct location and try

or

open power query, right-click on table name, open advance editor, change the location code save, and try .

if you still have error. let us know

This is happening when i am trying to import the data so it is not showing Data source settings.

PATH: Open PowerBi > HOME > Excel Workbook (Data) > Select File > then i get the error that Power Bi Can not find the file.

Hi @Atmonie ,

Could you please follow the below steps to clear cache and remove the existing data source connections? Later please check whether you can connect to that local excel file.

1. Clear cache (File--> Options and settings --> Options)

yingyinr_0-1626145749291.png

2. Remove the existing data source connections (you can refer this blog)

yingyinr_1-1626145870569.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I cleared the Cache and started from scratch but still having the same error message pop up that Power BI cannot located the file.

Hi @Atmonie ,

It is weird. Could you please check whether the file directory actually exist the excel file?  Is the excel file located in local computer directory, network directory or the directory in remote server etc.? Besides that, could you please open a new desktop window and try to connect another excel file? Later check whether you can connect the excel file or not. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.