Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bahare76
Helper I
Helper I

Error when converting text to date with Power BI

Dear members,

I have a file which contains all the transactions and tickets generated for the last month from our ticketing system. The thing is the column for created time is in text format. Issue happens when i wanted to convert the column to Date. As a result, some fields were successfully converted and some fields have "Error". Please refer the image below After using the first row as headerAfter using the first row as headeremove these errors as they will affect my reporting and tracking process. The error message is "DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value". The sample is available here for your reference   Sample Data Set.xls

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @bahare76 ,

for me it worked without any errors with your data.

Can you tell me the error?

Otherwise this happens for me once in a while when I import data in another locale format, like US format and I'm in Europe.

Try to import as with locale. Important, you have to do that when the column is still in format text.

Right click on the column --> Change Type --> Using Locale:

8.png

Then chose Date/Time and Locale English (US):

9.png

Afterwards he tries to make a datetime field from the US format.

Let me know if that worked.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @bahare76 ,

for me it worked without any errors with your data.

Can you tell me the error?

Otherwise this happens for me once in a while when I import data in another locale format, like US format and I'm in Europe.

Try to import as with locale. Important, you have to do that when the column is still in format text.

Right click on the column --> Change Type --> Using Locale:

8.png

Then chose Date/Time and Locale English (US):

9.png

Afterwards he tries to make a datetime field from the US format.

Let me know if that worked.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

I tried changing type using locale, but 2023 gets changed to 1905 year - why is it so?

In my case I got date column in text format and  I trying to convert the column into the date format .It is able to convert the intial dates but ultimatley when I am scrolling down then there are errors and even my os regional language(english India )  and power bi 's regional language are same and I also even tried this convert date according to locale method but still problem is not getting resolved. 

after applying change data type with localeafter applying change data type with locale

Hi @selimovd ,

Thanks, it worked. What i did was changing the regional setting before converting to Date Format.

Hey @bahare76 ,

that's great to hear! Yes, you have to change it before the conversion, otherwise the error already exists 😊
Don't forget to mark the post as solution ✔️, like that you help the next person to find the result without reading through the whole conversation.

Best regards and have great Easter

Denis

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bahare76 , I do not see any date in the excel link.

This can be because your date is in dd/mm/yyyy format and you have a setting of windows mm/dd/yyyy

Other way is to convert date to other format - I dicussed in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vky4wPqm0O0

One way is this setting - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-apply-UK-date-format-dd-mm-yyyy-in-Date-slicer/td-p/...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.