Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bw2020

Error when connecting to SQL source from PowerBI Desktop

Hi all,

I'm seeing an error when trying to connect to an SQL data source on PowerBI Desktop, my connection is set as follows:

Server: SERVER:PORT\INSTANCE
Database: DATABASENAME

I'm seeing the following error:
Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

The data gateway confirms connection is successful, the gateway is on a seperate VM from the SQL server and I've confirmed connectivity to SQL from that VM using SQL Management Studio.

Slowly running out of ideas.....

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bw2020 

Based on your error message,  the reason that we get this error message is the client stack could not receive SSRP response UDP packet from SQL Browser. You may try the following steps:
1) Make sure your server name is correct, e.g., no typo on the name.
2) Make sure your instance name is correct and there is actually such an instance on your target machine. [Update: Some application converts \ to . If you are not sure about your application, please try both ServerInstance and Server\Instance in your connection string]
3) Make sure the server machine is reachable, e.g, DNS can be resolve correctly, you are able to ping the server (not always true).
4) Make sure SQL Browser service is running on the server.
5) If firewall is enabled on the server, you need to put sqlbrowser.exe and/or UDP port 1434 into exception.

For further information, you may refer to the following links.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sql_protocols/2007/05/13/sql-network-interfaces-error-26-error-loca...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/troubleshoot-connecting-to-th...

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the swift reply, the SQL server is using a custom port. Is the format I've used in my example correct for using a custom port and non default instance name?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.