cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkoetzing Advocate II
Advocate II

Re: Error when connecting python to PBI

With the November 2019 release of PBIDesktop I see no issues running Python 3.7 from the Anaconda stack. All that is needed is to start PBIDesktop from within an activated conda environment and have the Python home directory configured in the Python scripting options.

From the Anaconda Prompt run:

(base) C:> "Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe"

rainynights Helper II
Helper II

@pkoetzing  I don't appear to have this option. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and I just installed PBI Desktop as an App, so it doesn't seem to show up in any of my folders as a file. Is there a way to get around this regardless?

pkoetzing Advocate II
Advocate II

Windows 10 Apps are stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, so you can find the executable in something like

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.75.5653.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\bin\PBIDesktop.exe

However, the WindowsApps folder is both hidden and protected, but with admin rights you can take over ownership like described e.g. in this article: https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/.

rainynights Helper II
Helper II

@pkoetzing 

Thank you so much!

I simply uninstalled the PBI that was installed through the Microsoft Store, and then downloaded the other version that gets installed in the Program File folder.

It would seem that, exactly as you said, launching PBI via anaconda prompt finally allows my Python to run in PBI! I'm ecstatic!

My only question is why this doesn't work when launching PBI normally. This is what I can't place a cause for - because it looks like both settings (with regard to Python script options) is the same regardless of which way i open it. 

SimonCapel

I was getting the same problem, and the solution from @pkoetzing  worked.

Thank you so much!!

creis12
Frequent Visitor

How can you create an environment in python 3.6? what needs to change in order to do this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors