Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BobbyEire
Regular Visitor

Error using Detect Data Changes Re: Incremental Refresh

Hey all,

I've configured Incremental Refresh to work on my table using the settings below.

image.png

However when i attempt to enable "Detect Data Changes" on the same table using the settings above, i get the following error.

image.png

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

5 REPLIES 5
BobbyEire
Regular Visitor

Hey all,

Issue resolved. After recreating the model and trying all sorts, i renamed the column in "Detect Data Changes" to exclude spaces in the name and hey presto, it worked!!

Not sure thats in documentation anywhere.

So essentially i changed my column from [Sync Date Time] to [SyncDateTime] and the error disappeared.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BobbyEire ,

If you select the Detect data changes checkbox, you can select a date/time column used to identify and refresh only the days where the data has changed. This assumes such a column exists in the source system, which is typically for auditing purposes. This should not be the same column used to partition the data with the RangeStart/RangeEnd parameters. The maximum value of this column is evaluated for each of the periods in the incremental range. If it has not changed since the last refresh, there is no need to refresh the period. 

For reference:

Incremental refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey Amy, 

I'm using 2 separate columns:

[Sync Created Date Time] for the incremenatl refresh

[Sync Date Time] for Detecting Data changes.

BobbyEire
Regular Visitor

Hey Mwegener,

The version of Power Bi desktop I have is Version: 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May 2020).

It won;t allow me to apply the changes because of the error so i can't publish them

Hi @BobbyEire ,

do you get errors when publishing?

Which Power BI desktop version are you using?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.