Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

colderub
Frequent Visitor

Error upon starting Power BI Desktop "There is an error in XML document (1, 1)"

Hi,

I am currently having issues with the following error upon starting Power BI Desktop "There is an error in XML document (1, 1).". The error appears upon starting the Power BI application even without opening a PBIX file. The error can be ignored and I can work with Power BI as normal that is until I try to connect to edit a data query or connect to a new data source. The error displays again and updates from the data source hang.

I have sent a frown to Microsoft approx 3 weeks ago (beginning of march) about the issue and recieved the following response

"Thank you for the feedback! This is an issue we've seen several customers hit. We are working on fixing the issue and will be releasing regular updates, so please be on the lookout!"

I have tried uninstalling Power BI and reinstalling but to no avail. Any help on the issue would be appreciated.

/Derek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

I never managed to get the issue resolved, not really sure what the cause was. However I got a new computer last week so for me the issue is now resolved. I installed Power BI Desktop on the new computer and it is working perfect!.

/Derek

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
forten
Frequent Visitor

I experienced a similar problem, where this very non-specific error appeared any time I tried to open a file, or basically do anything with Power BI Desktop. It was difficult to track down, i.e. *which* XML document presents the error? 

I tried reinstalling the Power BI Desktop and the Gateway, as well as cleared cache, and the problem did not go away. After much frustration, I found the solution was to delete the AppData folder for Power BI Desktop, as the culprit was somewhere in there. In my case this folder was located at C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Power BI Desktop.

Hi All,

After several attempts to use this solution, the trick is to uninstall PowerBI first.

Then delete the PowerBI Desktop folder withing the Appdata>Local>Microsoft folder as described.

Then reinstall PowerBI.

This seems to allow for a fresh installation of the software.

If you have trouble finding the appdata folder, you may need to use % as wildcards for the search as so = %appdata%

Good Luck!

-Shannon

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@colderub

Does this issue persist in the latest version (2.44.4675.521 released on 2017/3/10)?

If you have gateway installed, please update it into latest version as well and run Power BI Desktop as Administrator.

Reference:
Resolve Issues when Power BI Desktop will not launch

Regards,

Hi,

I still have the issue on version 2.44.4675.521. I tried running Power BI Desktop as an Adminstrator as you suggested but it didn't help.  Just to clarify Power BI Desktop starts and behaves as expected until I try to edit/update a data source.

I have include a picutre of the error message below

PBI_error.jpg

I do not currently have a gateway installed.

/Derek

Hi

I never managed to get the issue resolved, not really sure what the cause was. However I got a new computer last week so for me the issue is now resolved. I installed Power BI Desktop on the new computer and it is working perfect!.

/Derek

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.