Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataFormat.Error] We couldn't convert to Number.. '.

Hi All,

I am getting this error when applying my query. However data loading in the query editor does work. Only when applying the query I get this error. 

I have read that this error may be caused by applying data conversion.

But I don't understand where it comes from;

Followng steps I apply in the query editor

• Source (is linked to another table)
  • Append Query
  • Filtered Rows
  • Renamed Columns
  • Changed Type (from any ABC123 to Percentage)

let
    Source = #"POC Change STAGE",
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Source, #"Project STAGE"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Appended Query", each [value_new] <> null and [value_new] <> ""),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"value_old", "POC_OLD"}, {"value_new", "POC_NEW"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"POC_NEW", Percentage.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Is it also possible that the error comes from the source in which already other queries are applied? Or is it strictly this query where the error comes from?

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The error is caused that there are alphanumeric values in the column "POC_NEW", like "ABC123" that you said. They couldn't totally get converted. You need to stay the data type column to text. If you want to other format, you could apply it and then create formulas using FORMAT function to re-define it.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The error is caused that there are alphanumeric values in the column "POC_NEW", like "ABC123" that you said. They couldn't totally get converted. You need to stay the data type column to text. If you want to other format, you could apply it and then create formulas using FORMAT function to re-define it.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently there was an error row in the column. PowerBi showed me this by using the column header with a small red part and a white and green part.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.