Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

megavic
Advocate II
Advocate II

Error refreshing Access database data tables on a network in PowerBI desktop

Hi,

I'm having an issue when refreshing queries from an Access database on the network.

This was previously working OK, but currently when refreshing I get the error: 

"DataFormat.Error: Could not use [Access DB Filename]; file already in use."

All other tables the cancel load due to the above issue, however the only user accessing the DB is the PowerBI desktop app.

It's like it's tripping over itself when refreshing, the offending table changes randomly.

I can refresh the data manually by clicking refresh on every data table but this is a real headache and obviously not ideal!

Any help appreciated,

Example screenshot:

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for your help, yes the access DB is on a shared network with the filepath layout as per your comment.

The four tables are all from the same database with one way relationships.

Updated to the latest version and this is still an issue.

I have band aided the issue by unticking 'Enable parallel loading of tables' in Options --> Current File, Data Load.

Obviously this makes the query refresh take slightly longer but removes the annoyance of individually refreshing tables.

I think I'll go with this for now as work is hectic at the moment.

Again, thanks for you help 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
set314
Frequent Visitor

This only works in the desktop. Is there a solution for refreshing in the service with a gateway?
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @megavic,

From your description, it seems that the access database is shared on network with \\<server name>\users\<user name>\..., right?

In your scenario, as there are four queries, how did you create those four tables? Were there any dependency between those tables? Please try to share the detail steps how you create .pbix file, so that we can try to test on our side.

By the way, which desktop version did you run? How about the result after updating the desktop to the latest one?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for your help, yes the access DB is on a shared network with the filepath layout as per your comment.

The four tables are all from the same database with one way relationships.

Updated to the latest version and this is still an issue.

I have band aided the issue by unticking 'Enable parallel loading of tables' in Options --> Current File, Data Load.

Obviously this makes the query refresh take slightly longer but removes the annoyance of individually refreshing tables.

I think I'll go with this for now as work is hectic at the moment.

Again, thanks for you help 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked for me too. Thanks

Excellent!

BillR
Frequent Visitor

Worked for me. Glad you found it.

Lol me too!

Glad this has helped someone else Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.