Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alienvolm
Helper IV
Helper IV

Error: "The column 'Column name' of the table wasn't found

Hello, 

I have been updating this Power BI report for more than one year now, and now out of the blue I'm receiving this error: 

Power BI Column Error.png

The source file I'm using is a CSV file exported directly from a CRM (ConnectWise). The file needs a lot of cleanup: that specific column, indeed, is the first column of the source file and is empty, therefore the very first step in my query is to eliminate it.  However, when I go to the query error, it points to that step precisely. 

Power BI Source file.pngPower BI Table.pngPower BI Query Error.png

I have the reasonable doubt that the source files might have been messed up by a recent ConnectWise update: since that happened, I cannot change the date format to my locale as well, in two different fields. 

Any suggestions are welcome! 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try removing the step that removes the Board Icon column. They may have gotten rid of that column?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hey thanks for the quick reply! 

The column is still there in the source file, but I tried to remove the step in the query anyway: now I get the same error for a different column! 

Power BI new column error.PNG

This is a calculated column in my query: in the source CSV file it's a URL and my query substitutes the URL with a priority level (text field). 

It seems that these columns giving error somehow contained non-textual elements from the CRM that got exported to CSV in my source file. Could that matter at all? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.