cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephen1985 Visitor
Visitor

Re: Error "Destination folder path cannot exceed 100 characters." prevents install of Powe

HI,

This solution does not seen to work for me, unless i am doing something wrong, should i replace the "PBIDesktop.msi" with the file path of the installer file?

example:

msiexec /i "C:\Users\stephen.zacharia\Downloads" WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH="1"

msiexec /i "PBIDesktop.msi" WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH="1"

Usates Member

Re: Error "Destination folder path cannot exceed 100 characters." prevents install of Powe

try

msiexec /i "C:\Users\stephen.zacharia\Downloads\PBIDesktop.msi" WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH="1"

Highlighted
adamflath Member

Stephen,

Make sure you are in the directory before you do anything.  Meaning when you are in the CMD prompt, access the folder where the PBIXDesktop.msi file is located.

Example, when I load up CMD, it default to C:\Users\username

So Step one is to go to my downloads folder where that msi file is located.  In the CMD screen I type in "cd downloads"  the CMD screen now shows that I am in C:\Users\username\Downloads

NOW I type in msiexec /i "PBIDesktop.msi" WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH="1"      Exactly that way with the quotes.  You can see that you dont include the folder path because you are already in it when you typed the command.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

January 2020 Community Highlights

January 2020 Community Highlights

Make sure you didn't miss any of the things that happened in the community in January!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors