Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error publishing a report with Direct Query over Analysis services

I have a Power BI report where I build on top of a Power BI dataset that is made available to me via a Power BI App (where the publisher of the app granted Build permissions to the users). I am bringing in some local Excel tables to the model and thus using the preview feature of Direct Query over Analysis Services and ending up with a mixed model.

All works well when it comes to modelling, but when I try to publish the report to any workspace (either My Workspace or any other workspace I have access to), I get the following error I included a screenshot of below. What could be causing this?

While I do not have full visibility into the upstream report design, I do not think I am violating the 3-chain rule that is the current limitation of the DQ over Analysis Services feature.

aurimasr_0-1616596566449.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can try the following steps:

1 If the dataset comes from a new workspace, you can't publish it to a classic workspace. Otherwise, you can see the following error information.

v-cazheng-msft_0-1616740177488.png

2 Check the size of the report, the size of datasets normally less than 1 GB. If you are using Premium, you can refer  size considerations in Premium.

3 Check the storage of the workspace, if the storage is not enough, the publish of the report will fail

v-cazheng-msft_1-1616740177522.png

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-cazheng-msft thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be the issue:

1. I tried publishing to both modern and "old" workspaces - same error;

2. I tried publishing to a workspace on a premium capacity - same error (and the local model I have is tiny, PBIX file is ~200kb)

3. Workspaces I tried using are pretty much empty.

I am not exactly sure how large the Power BI dataset I connect to with DQ is, but as it is DQ, I don't think that it would matter in this scenario? (and even then a premium workspace should resolve the issue, which it did not). Any futher suggestions you may have?

EDIT: I noticed it actually got published into one of the workspaces I tested (not the premium one, interestingly). However, when I load the report, I get the following issue:

aurimasr_0-1616746450411.png

Of course, I cannot follow the advice as I cannot republish..

Hi @Anonymous 

Actually, the report don't need publish to Premium capacity. You can try to republish the report to this workspace. And you can check whether the ‘Use datasets across workspaces’ in your organizational Admin portal> Tenant settings is disabled. If it doesn't work, you can open support ticket for further help.

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.