Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prakashvj
Regular Visitor

Error opening pbix file with desktop version

Hi 

I am using a PowerBi desktop version "2.54.4970.961 (PBIDesktop) (x64)". I could not open the pbix which I was using until yesterday.  I am able to see the same report online and able to modify but when I download it as pbix and trying to open through desktop it's failing with below error. 

Error Message:
Required property 'message' not found in JSON. Path '', line 1, position 192.

Product Version:
2.54.4970.961 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Required property 'message' not found in JSON. Path '', line 1, position 192.

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461308]

Peak Virtual Memory:
33.7 GB

Private Memory:
254 MB

Peak Working Set:
376 MB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's fixed after I have received latest 2.55.5010.641 version update. 

thanks

jyothi

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Akshay_M
Helper I
Helper I

1. Try to open it again. This may be an intermittent error.

2. According to the error message you provided, the error may be caused by circular dependency. Please check. If circular dependency do exist, you can refer to this blog.

3. Do you change the table name in data source? If so, please change it back and try it again.

Gopher500
Frequent Visitor

Can't open desktop as well.  I see flash screen with  an error message is behind it. I was able to open it twice after MAR2018 install.  However, I got a different error:

Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Core, Version=64.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=############' or one of its dependencies.  The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Desktop was removed and reinstalled and the same thing happened again.  Desktop app was OK to use after install and and after one PC reboot.  At least one other user at office had the same issue. 

Please advise.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,  I'm suddenly getting this error.  I've tried reinstallations, gateway removal everything recommended and still get during open the desktop.

OpeningError.png

Thanks for your help....

Mike

The fix was instead uninstall use “Repair” button.

I went to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\. Found power bi app and pushed “Repair” button.

Hope it works for you.

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gopher - thanks you for the reply.   I couldn’t find the repair from the Control Panel\Program and Features (I’m on Windows 10)  but  I did do the repair option from the Installation MSI package.  Ran the repair which forced a reboot and still same error message.  I’m not sure where to turn from here.

Wilco99
Regular Visitor

I get the same issue. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-02-23T14:34:53.9529284Z

Local Time:
2018-02-23T14:34:53.9529284+00:00

Session ID:
0a6f9c6a-74d3-482d-96da-33e40a64b017

Release:
February 2018

Product Version:
2.55.5010.641 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Error Message:
Required property 'message' not found in JSON. Path '', line 1, position 188.

Is there a fix? I just downloaded the latest version and still get the same issue

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@prakashvj,

Do you still get the error message when using February update of Power BI Desktop( 2.55.5010.581)?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did not get the latest update yet. 

It's fixed after I have received latest 2.55.5010.641 version update. 

thanks

jyothi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am facing the same issue now. dont know whats the root cause of this issue.

my powerbi desktop version is 2.55.5010.641 64-bit (February 2018)

can anyone suggest to reslove this issue

Hi,

I have tried to open after installing february update but still I am facing the same issue

Hi,

I have tried to open after installing february update but still I am facing the same issue

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@prakashvj,

Do you get this issue for all PBIX files a specific PBIX file? How about you un-install and re-install Power BI Desktop?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When I am downloading PBIX file from workspace it is not opening in PBI Desktop Application. But if one of my team member is following the same steps, for him it is working fine.

We are making sure that we both have same Version copy of PBI Desktop application.

Request you to kindly give your thoughts on the same.

I even tried a different browser, but still get the same issue.

Hi,

We are having this issue when we download the pbix file from online and try to open in the desktop. if we share the local pc pbix file between the desktop, are able to open the reports successfully. 

Thanks

Jyothi 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.