Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sheetalshettiga
Helper IV
Helper IV

Error on apply query changes in directQuery

Hi all,

I am creating a .pbix file by automation that is I am loading the metadata details to DataModelSchema and DataMashup file with metadata from json input and zipping back to .pbix.

When I give option as directquery with Merged tables I get error as shown below in attachment.

with import mode I dont get below error message with Merged tables

I have given only one data source to PRODUCT_CATEGORIES table still its shows this error

please help me with this

error+msg.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sheetalshettiga ,

We can not merge tables with storage mode "DirectQuery" and from different data sources, but we can merge tables with storage mode "DirectQuery" and from the same data source.

--my sample

v-lionel-msft_1-1610088380773.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sheetalshettiga ,

We can not merge tables with storage mode "DirectQuery" and from different data sources, but we can merge tables with storage mode "DirectQuery" and from the same data source.

--my sample

v-lionel-msft_1-1610088380773.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sheetalshettiga , I doubt you can you can use merge in the direct query, Can share details of the operations you have done?

Hi @amitchandak 

I tested out merge Queries is happening mannually in power BI

Mquery for merge:

let
#"Source" = Oracle.Database("(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl)))", [HierarchicalNavigation=true ]),
OT = #"Source"{[Schema="OT"]}[Data],
#"PRODUCT_CATEGORIES1" = OT{[Name="PRODUCT_CATEGORIES"]}[Data],
#"Merged Queries PRODUCT_CATEGORIES_CATEGORY_ID6" = Table.NestedJoin(#"PRODUCT_CATEGORIES1", {"CATEGORY_ID"}, PRODUCTS, {"CATEGORY_ID (PRODUCTS)"}, "PRODUCTS", JoinKind.Inner),
#"Expanded PRODUCTS 6" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries PRODUCT_CATEGORIES_CATEGORY_ID6", "PRODUCTS", {"PRODUCT_ID (PRODUCTS)","PRODUCT_NAME","DESCRIPTION","STANDARD_COST","LIST_PRICE","CATEGORY_ID (PRODUCTS)"}),
#"Merged Queries PRODUCT_CATEGORIES_PRODUCT_ID (PRODUCTS)39" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Expanded PRODUCTS 6", {"PRODUCT_ID (PRODUCTS)"}, ORDER_ITEMS, {"PRODUCT_ID"}, "ORDER_ITEMS", JoinKind.Inner),
#"Expanded ORDER_ITEMS 39" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries PRODUCT_CATEGORIES_PRODUCT_ID (PRODUCTS)39", "ORDER_ITEMS", {"ORDER_ID (ORDER_ITEMS)","ITEM_ID","PRODUCT_ID","QUANTITY","UNIT_PRICE"})
in
#"Expanded ORDER_ITEMS 39"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.