Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

npatten
Helper II
Helper II

Error message

Hi-- I keep getting this error message, below, and the PBI instructions suggested posting the error on the forum. I can't open the document and it's crippled my analytics flow. 

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected exception occurred.

An unexpected exception occurred.

'.

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveOptions saveOptions)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.SaveChanges(String description)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.InternalTransaction.Commit()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ModelAuthoringTransaction.<Commit>b__27()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ModelAuthoringExceptionHandler.AddModelChangeResultToExceptions(Action action, ModelChangeResult modelChangeResult)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ModelAuthoringTransaction.Commit()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportUpgrader.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Upgrade>b__0(IExtendedModelChangeScope scope)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.RunOutOfBandExtendedModelChange(Action`1 extendedModelChange, IAnalysisServicesDatabase analysisServicesDatabase, IModelManager modelManager, Boolean requireASDBToBeUnattached)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLocal.RunOutOfBandExtendedModelChangeCore(Action`1 extendedModelChange, Boolean requireASDBToBeUnattached)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportUpgrader.Upgrade(Report report)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.UpgradeModel(Report report, IPowerBIWindowService windowService)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.Prepare(Report report, PackageValidationResult mashupResult, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIPackagingService.Open(FileStream fileStream, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, Boolean& allCredentialsSatisfied)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__5.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__9>d__c.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass10.<Main>b__0()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected exception occurred.

'.

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError_MethodDefDescription:

CommitTransaction

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here, rolled back to June 2018 version and report refreshes fine. Seems to be an issue with the August update 

PrasanthKumar
Frequent Visitor

Hi @npatten

Can you please update your power bi desktop to latest version?

Note: If you are using the latest version of power bi desktop, please uninstall it and install latest version.

Please try once and let me know.

Thanks,

Prasanth.C

@PrasanthKumar wrote:

Hi @npatten

Can you please update your power bi desktop to latest version?

Note: If you are using the latest version of power bi desktop, please uninstall it and install latest version.

Please try once and let me know.

Thanks,

Prasanth.C

Hi -- uninstalled and reinstaled the desktop app through the msft store, and it still returned an error:

Error Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'pcmetadatacoll.inl', line 2906, function 'PFQSortDataManipMajorObjByUserOrdinal<class ASDetail * *>::Compare').

An unexpected error occurred (file 'pcmetadatacoll.inl', line 2906, function 'PFQSortDataManipMajorObjByUserOrdinal<class ASDetail * *>::Compare').

An unexpected error occurred (file 'pcmetadatacoll.inl', line 2906, function 'PFQSortDataManipMajorObjByUserOrdinal<class ASDetail * *>::Compare').

---

Thank you,

Nathan

Solution 1: If possible, can you please create a new report with the same query you are using now in the existing one (which you are facing problem now)?

Solution 2https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4016805/fix-the-sql-server-analysis-service-encounters-an-i...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4014013/fix-unexpected-error-occurs-when-you-process-a-tabl...

Please try above solutions and let me know. I hope it will resolve your problem.

Thanks,

Prasanth.C

Hi 

Solution 2: i'm not using SSAS or SS 2016, only Power BI. I'm not sure how the solutions for Update 2, SP1 will help in this situation?

Soultion 1: the current data model i'm working with is comprised of multiple SQL queries, Excel tables, and websites, along with dozens and dozens of measures. Rebuilding it from memory would be imossible. Is there a way of getting a higher level of technical support from Microsoft for my issue? It's my fundamental BI tool and i've been without for over a week.

Thank you,

Nathan

Hello--

On a whim, i tried to open my malfunctioning PBI docs in an older version of PBI desktop (not the app),  and the docs now work. This leads me to suspect that the PBI app is not working properly. Here is the desktop version that worked: 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January 2018)

Using an outdated version of PBI doesn't seem to be a long term solution to this problem. What are the next steps?

Thank you,

Nathan

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @npatten,

What operation caused this error? Please provide the replicate steps.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana,

Thanks for responding. The error message pops up when I click on the document to open it. The document doesn't open, but insead shows this error: 

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'pcmetadatacoll.inl', line 2906, function 'PFQSortDataManipMajorObjByUserOrdinal<class ASDetail * *>::Compare').

I'm not able to open the document at all, so there are no further steps to report. 

When I hit 'copy details' from the error message and paste the deatils in a word doc, it's 16 pages of error messaging. I treid to post it all, but it exceeds the charater limit. Would it be more helpful for me to msg you the document as an attachement?

Thank you for your help so far. This is a very important document, as it contains all my fundraising data mining work. And none of the backup copies are functioning either, as they prodcue the same error report. Please let me know if there's anything else i can provide. 

Nathan

@v-yulgu-msft wrote:

Hi @npatten,

What operation caused this error? Please provide the replicate steps.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.