Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NovaBI
Helper V
Helper V

Error message: "Failed to save modification. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error...

Hi all,

a user tried to get data from an Azure SQL server db. 

It is a big table, lots of columns and somtimes big precision. 

After 420k of rows, the user receives the following message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] An error happened while reading the data from the provider: 'Invalid operation. The connection is closed'.'. ('.'. - sic!)

Not sure how to handle that. The same db caused trouble with the SQL driver in Informatica, as the connection times out after some time (around 1h or so).

Could that be the case as well here? 

If so (and even if not...), can someone give me an advise how to handle that issue? 

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NovaBI ,

Is your problem solved? If so, would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirment will find the solution quickly and benefit here, thank you!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

@v-yanjiang-msft I am not sure if the issue was resolved by the solution proposed, dont want to show a solution to other people that might be wrong. But you can close the thread.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

certainly a possibility.  Specify a different value for the command timeout parameter in your source connection.

Thanks for the answer. 

It is still strange, as the user set the command timeout to 180m. It worked then. But the load only takes like 10 to 15 minutes.

On my side, it worked without the command timeout. It is working now, but it still apprears odd to me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.