Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

evronhughes

Error installing Power BI Desktop on my Windows Tablet

I've tried several times to install the Power BI Desktop version on my Microsoft Surface Pro which I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I always get an error message (see screengrab). I've tried different things: downloaded the installation application over 5 times, tried to install as an administrator etc...it still doesnt work. I get the same error message each time I try. Can anyone help, please? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
gokelawal

"Microsoft power BI desktop (x64) requires internet explorer 9RTM or later.'' I got this error message while trying to install Power BI on windows 7 professional and I have tried installing internet explorer 9 and 11 but I was not able to install it on my computer because of OS incompatibility issues with the internet explorer. I am currently using windows 7 professional. Please what can be done to resolve this error.

javedbh
Helper II
Helper II

I’m local administrator on my machine and I have enabled “User Account Control Settings”. I tried to install the power bi desktop October release and it gave me the same error. In windows 7, I do not see “run as administrator” option in context menu when I right click on the installer package. I ran the cmd.exe as administrator and installed the app using “msiexec” command and it was successful. I disabled “User Account Control Settings”, restarted my computer, then ran the setup in normal way and no error showed up.

I didn’t try “modify the security settings of temp folder” solution. That might also work. By default, local administrators have full permissions to this folder.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not see the screen grab.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi, 

Thanks for your interest, and Sorry. I tried a couple of times to attache the screen grab. I thought it's done. But this is what it says:

" There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this to install  to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".

And there's a choice to click OK, after which the installation terminates.

I get the same error installing the Power BI Desktop in a Windows 10 laptop.  Is there a solution to this?

snip_20160525010721.png

Hi LufiG,

Could you try the following steps:

1. Go into c:\users\"username"\AppData\Local\ (Replace username with your own user name)
  2. Right click on "temp" and choose "properies".
  3. Choose "security" --> edit --> add,
  4. And add the username you are using, and give yourself all rights.

Please reply the thread if the steps work.

-Sheng

Great stuff Sheng! Worked perfectly - even with other softwares that I was having problem installing. Although I am a non technical person, its surprising that such a problem occured since I have been given admin rights..

I tried everything but couldnt solve with the given instructions. I then typed "Cmd" in search and right click Run as administrator. Then went to the exact folder and typed the file name I wanted to run which in my case was .msi. It worked!

Sorry it is not installing for you.  Can you do the following to help me diagnose the issue and get this fixed for you.

Please download the installer, and then run it from  the command line with this command

> msiexec /i <pathToInstaller.msi> /l*xv install.log

Then attach the log, and we should have a good idea what is causing the issue.

Thanks,

-jeff

I am also having the same installation issue... running Windows 10. I can install the "Mobile" version, but not the desktop version where I can edit the reports and dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.