Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vsolanon
Frequent Visitor

Error in Date slider slicer

Hello Experts,

I am creating my first Dashboard and hope you can guide me through, 🙂

My Dashboard in PowerBi desktop is connected to a SharePoint list. The SP list has a Date/Time column named "Modified". 

I want to display the dates within the column "Modified" in a Timeline slicer in order to be able to filter by a time range the information displayed in the Dashboard. Currently, this is not working since the slider is not showing any information about dates.

In PowerBi desktop I have modified the field related to "Modified" to Date, instead of Date/Time without success.

Thank in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

First, Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Second when you say "without success" do you mean you get an error? By Timeline slicer, are you referring to a custom visual or are you referring to the default date range slicer?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @amitchandak @Greg_Deckler, thank you both for the response!

Kindly note when I tried to add a column using the expression suggested, I got the below error: Expression.Error: The name 'Date' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

I included the timeline from the option "Import from AppSource", I guess it might not be a default date range slices since I manually included. PowerBiForum2.JPG This is the icon and is named "Timeline". 

I mentioned it was without success because when I added the Timeline I noticed the information (the dates) were not populated. Please find below an image of how the timeline looks after I included "Modified" under the Time field.

PowerBiForum.JPG

Sample data. We cannot give you a solution if we don't know the column names, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Please find the information including more details. Let me know if any further information is required. 🙂

I have two different SP list in the PowerBi desktop. In order to merge the information, I select the option "Merge Queries as New". This new query is the one I am using on my dashboard. After I merge the information, I modified the column "STA Assignment Data.Modified" to be Date. --> this is the real name of the columnPowerBiForum3.JPG

After adding the Timeline option in the dashboard, I added the column "STA Assignment Data.Modified" under the field "Time", as highlighted in the below image. I also noticed after I changed the column to "Date", the column display more options (Year, Quarter, Month, Day). 

I am wondering if I am missing one step since my Timeline is not showing any data

9the dates) that is recorded in the column "STA Assignment Data.Modified".

PowerBiForum4.JPG

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@vsolanon

Typically Date time should work fine as the date. But making data type Date might not remove its timestamp.

Create a new column like

Modified date 1 = [Modified date].date

Or

Modified date 1 = date(year( [Modified date]),month( [Modified date]),day( [Modified date]))

Try if this gives you the correct result.

if you need more help make me @. Provide some sample data and output

Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.