Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zidek22
Frequent Visitor

Error cyclic dependency when sorting by calculated column.

Hello data wizards,

I have this problem in Power BI desktop. I need to sort months in a matrix according to their year. The months go like this:

Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Dec

the December here is from the previous year, so I want:

Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May

I have created a calculated column that goes like columnForSort = FORMAT(tablename[DateCol]; "YYYYMM") which I want to use for sorting, because there the dates look like this: 201912, 202001, 20202, etc.

Perfect, but now when I click on the Date column in the fields tab and then I "sort by column" and choose the new columnForSort it loads for a bit and then an error pops up that reads: 

Failed to save modifications to a server. Error: Cyclic dependency detected: tablename[Date], tablename[columnForSort], tablename[Date].

I guess the problem is with sorting an original column by a new column that was created in accordance to the original column.

Is there a way to work around this?

THANK YOU

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@zidek22 , I am not sure How you have used it.

But You can not sort a derived column on the base column

This how we create a column and its sort column

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmm-yyyy")
Month Year sort = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm")

Month= FORMAT([Date],"mmm")
Month sort = FORMAT([Date],"mm")

Both coming from same column, Not A-> b-> C

Thank you for your reply @amitchandak !

I have a base column and I made one derived column. Then I highlight the base column and click "sort by column" and choose the derived column. I've already done this in a different project where I needed to sort months chronologicaly and not alphabeticaly and it worked great. I'm probably just doing some small mistake. Anyway, thank you for your time!

@zidek22 , I have given formulas in last update to sort the month on month order, not the text. Just adjust to your table and that will work

It worked! I added a second DateView column that I use to display the dates, then I created the DateSort column that is in a YYYYMM format and can be sorted. After that I sorted the DateView column by the DateSort column. Basicaly I never use the original Date column in my visual. Just writing this up for future reference if anyone needs it.

Thank you so much! Bye @amitchandak 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.