Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RayRay
Employee
Employee

Error converting certain HH:MM vlaues to type "Duration"

Hi, Im importing a column from an excel which has duration values in format HH:MM. When intially pulled in it is type "Any" by default. When I try convert to "Duration" it looks like anything over 24 hours comes up with an error. What is the best way to handle this data type so that I can then sum the total hours in my report? 

I also dont want to roll over to days either when I sum it in the report if possible. 

Thanks!

image.pngimage.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RayRay 

You can add custom column like 

let split = Text.Split( [Column1], ":" ) in #duration( 0, Number.FromText( split{0} ), Number.FromText( split{1} ), 0 )

please see the result for ref.

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RayRay 

You can add custom column like 

let split = Text.Split( [Column1], ":" ) in #duration( 0, Number.FromText( split{0} ), Number.FromText( split{1} ), 0 )

please see the result for ref.

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Yup seems to do the job. Thanks @Mariusz   

also what I needed to do was, while building the report, just change the type to time and format to HH:mm

@Mariusz , I was looking at this again, and while the code helps to convert the data into the "duration" format, when I try use the data to build a report I can't seem to get it in the format that I need ie. for the larger values eg 1.20:30 (1 day and 20 hours and 30 min) needs to be in format 44:30. 

example below - Column 1 is the orginal import (data type = text) Column 2 is transformed data (Duration)  I changed the data type to Time, format hh:mm but it just drops the extra 24 hours. 

Am I missing something? 

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.