Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Elsie14
Advocate I
Advocate I

Error connecting to SharePoint online

Power BI desktop fails to connect to a sharepoint online datasource with the following error:

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: <URL of my sharepoint site.xlsx>/_api/contextinfo

Does anyone know what this error means? Seemed to be working fine yesterday and before but since I have updated Power BI Desktop this error keeps showing up.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this error and was just able to fix it. Mine occurred from successfully referencing an excel file in OneDrive, then needing to change the folder that the file was in, but keeping the file name the same. 

When I cleared credentials and resigned in I still got the error, but when I clicked "Change Source" in Data Source Settings and put in the new file location path and then cleared permissions and re-signed in, it worked.

anhnguyenhoang
Frequent Visitor

Hello, 

I'm getting the same error, as I have been tried to clear permission and log in again with my credentials but still not working.

Any suggestion?

Tim406
Frequent Visitor

Seeing the same thing this morning with data sources that were working fine last night, but in my case I haven't updated PBI Desktop to the April version yet...

Strangely, I can access some items on OneDrive just fine - it's when I try to join queries that things are throwing a rod...

Tim406
Frequent Visitor

...and now we're back in business. A mystery wrapped in an enigma, I guess!

Mine still not working. Checked with a colleague and his is working fine. Not having problems accessing OneDrive or SPO. Mystery continues...

Hi @Elsie14,

Do you connect to Excel file on SharePoint Online site? If so, I test the scenario as yours, I am able to connect to Excel file on SharePoint Online site in the April version of Power BI Desktop.

Are you the owner of the Excel file and have you checked that if there are any issues about your account?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do. However it seems completely random. About an hour ago it worked (did not change anything).  Hoever if I move the folder to another destination on Sharepoint Online (where I have access) I get the same error again.

Hi @Elsie14,

How about clearing credential of SharePoint Online source in your PBIX file and then connecting to it? And is there any possibility that your password is expired?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.