Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbrewer
Frequent Visitor

Error after Power BI crash and upgrade - Failed to save modifications to the server

After closing out of a query and attempting to save Power BI desktop crashed. Now when I try to open the pbix file this is the error that I get: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'A circular dependency was detected: Pay_Apps[Sub PA no.], Pay_Apps[PA Sort],Pay_Apps[Sub PA No.].

I cannot even open the file to attempt to fix whatever is the problem. I am dead in the water here with a deadline for a report due.

6 REPLIES 6
lbrewer
Frequent Visitor

Update: I uninstalled the October 2016 update and re-installed the September 2016 update and was able to open the file. Now when I try to refresh I get errors for all the queries: Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table.

You should expand the errors and find what is causing the error to stop refreshing the tables.

For Circular Dependency error, 

Please refer this BLOG

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

I was unable to open the file at all with the October 2016 Power BI Desktop update. After uninstalling the update and re-installing the September 2016 update I was able to open the file. In the end it turns out that someone had one of the excel spreadsheets open that a query was referring to. When refreshing all the queries the open spreadsheet was stopping the process.

@lbrewer

After close the excel spreadsheets opened by others, are you able to open and refresh the queries with Sep 2016 update?

If no issue is found with Sep 2016 update now, could you please try to save this PBIX file and open it with Oct 2016 update to see if the file can be opened with no error?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Yes I was able to open with the September 2016 update. I installed the October 2016 update on another computer and still got the error message when I tried to open the pbix file. So somehow the October 2016 update is picking up a circular reference that the September 2016 update is not. Again, the October 2016 update will not allow me to even open the file. The September 2016 update will.

@lbrewer

Could you please provide the PBIX file to me? I’d like to repro it locally. We may need to report it if it is actually an issue.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.