Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kkim17
Frequent Visitor

Error This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without.

WOW1 = IF('Table Current'[WOW]=0,"Y","N")

A single value for column 'WoW' in table 'Table Current' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Don't understand as the column is filled with single integers of 1 and 0.

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like you're trying to create a measure instead of a calculated column.  If you use the same exact code, but as a calculated column, you shouldn't have an issue.

The problem is that measures are calculated over the entire data set unless otherwise given a filter context.  So the error message in that case is accurate.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
aanyoti
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All,

Am relatively new to PowerBI and its currently working wonders for our business.

I am however stuck with creating a new column and getting the below error:

' single value for column in table cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregator such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.'

This is my formula:

Revenue = IF(VALUE('redmine custom_fields'[id])="100,102",(redmine_custom_values[value]))

I am trying to copy decimal numbers filtered from the existing column redmine custom_fields (with id 100 and 102) to the new column.

PLEASE HELP!!

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like you're trying to create a measure instead of a calculated column.  If you use the same exact code, but as a calculated column, you shouldn't have an issue.

The problem is that measures are calculated over the entire data set unless otherwise given a filter context.  So the error message in that case is accurate.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I used a similar formula with columns but is not working when I create a visualization object such as a table. If I put the column in the table, it shows an X with an error.

What I am doing wrong?

thanks

Hi @Anonymous  - I would suggest starting a new thread with your specific problem so we can help you out. This thread has been closed for some time.

That is a good explanation. Is there anything at all we can do to make it a calculated measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I am experiencing this same issue.  I want to use a column of whole numbers to create a measure using calculate.  I tried creating a measure based on the new column and get the same error.  How to assign a filter context for that column?  Any other work arounds?  Thanks, Robert

Thank you! Your answer is really helpful for me!

This post is very helpful, I have clearly understand my problem.............................

Hand to PowerBI gods I created a column first and tried to implement a version of the if statement

And couldn't get it work.

Trying to get this work, it appears to be working now.: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/up-arrow-show-a-shape-based-on-a-formula/td-p/15823/page/2

Again thank you for your help and patience, for such a simple error on my part.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors