Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

evgeniam
Frequent Visitor

Error - The start date in Calendar function can not be later than the end date

I get an error when trying to load a table visual which relies on a Work Days within Timeframe calculation. I have validated the measure results and it works as expected at the employee level, accounting for start date, end date, hire and termination date, for all employees in the dataset, even if the termination date is hypothetical (in the future). But breaks when using it to calculate hours ([Work Days within Timeframe]*8)

Work Days wn Timeframe =
var start_Date=FIRSTDATE(ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]))
var end_Date=LASTDATE(ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]))
var hire_Date = MAX(Employee[HireDate])
var termination_Date = MAX(Employee[TerminationDate])
return
IF(AND(ISBLANK(termination_Date), hire_Date<=end_Date),
DATEDIFF(MAX(start_Date,hire_Date), end_Date, DAY)-COUNTROWS(FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(MAX(start_Date, hire_Date), end_Date), "DoW", WEEKDAY([Date], 1)), [DoW]=1||[DoW]=7)),
IF(AND(termination_Date<end_Date, termination_Date>start_Date),
DATEDIFF(MAX(start_Date, hire_Date), termination_Date, DAY)-COUNTROWS(FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(MAX(start_Date, hire_Date), termination_Date), "DoW", WEEKDAY([Date], 1)), [DoW]=1||[DoW]=7)),
IF(termination_Date>=end_Date,
DATEDIFF(MAX(start_Date, hire_Date), MIN(termination_Date, end_Date), DAY)-COUNTROWS(FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(MAX(start_Date, hire_Date), MIN(termination_Date, end_Date)), "DoW", WEEKDAY([Date], 1)), [DoW]=1||[DoW]=7)),
0)
))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @evgeniam

From the error message, the issue should be related to the first parameter value in CALENDAR() function is larger than the second parameter value. As you use three IF() functions in result section and each IF() uses CALENDAR() function, I would suggest you return one IF() condition result each time to decide which IF() function has the issue. 

In my opinion, the issue is possibly related to last two IF() parts, as we can't ensure the MAX ( start_Date, hire_Date ) is less or equal to the termination_Date in second IF() part. It's the same as MAX ( start_Date, hire_Date ) in last IF() part. 

e3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @evgeniam

From the error message, the issue should be related to the first parameter value in CALENDAR() function is larger than the second parameter value. As you use three IF() functions in result section and each IF() uses CALENDAR() function, I would suggest you return one IF() condition result each time to decide which IF() function has the issue. 

In my opinion, the issue is possibly related to last two IF() parts, as we can't ensure the MAX ( start_Date, hire_Date ) is less or equal to the termination_Date in second IF() part. It's the same as MAX ( start_Date, hire_Date ) in last IF() part. 

e3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Got it! It was in the second IF (). Fixed by changing 

IF(AND(termination_Date<end_Date, termination_Date>start_Date)   

to

IF(termination_Date<end_Date && termination_Date>start_Date &&termination_Date>hire_Date)

Thank you for looking into this! I will investigate further. 

I was wondering if this could be a bug considering when I create a table visual with Employee, Hire Date, Termination Date and Work Days within Timeframe columns, it works and I get the correct number of days listed for each employee (depended on the date slicer selection). Why does the measure work in that context, but not when used in a calculation within another measure?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.