Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

godfreyan
Frequent Visitor

Error Refreshing Excel Data

I am trying to refresh data from an excel spreadsheet, but I keep getting the below error message. I've never seen this error pop up before and it isn't clear what the problem is or how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?Power BI error message.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@godfreyan ,

This may caused by the data format change, you can refer to this similar case below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-the-dreaded-OLE-DB-or-ODBC-error-Exception-from-HRE...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@godfreyan ,

This may caused by the data format change, you can refer to this similar case below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-the-dreaded-OLE-DB-or-ODBC-error-Exception-from-HRE...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuta-msft

Thanks for linking to this. I was able to fix the refresh problem before I read this by deleting the file path and adding it back in the advanced editor. I have no idea why that worked because it was exactly the same file path. But once the data refreshed, everything went haywire. When it refreshed, the date was suddenly formatted as a serial date, as in the example you linked to, and Power BI would not recognize it as a date. However, that is not how my original data source was formatted, so I have no idea why it did that. I reformatted it and haven't had any problems with refreshing, though, so I don't know if something about the date had been causing the problem or not. Another thing that went haywire after I refreshed is that one of my slicers is not pulling in all the data from the column it references. This is really bizarre, because that slicer is linked to slicers on other pages that are not having that problem. No matter how many times I delete and add back the slicer to that page, it only has one option instead of the four it should have. Also, all my number columns were formatted as text when I refreshed even though they weren't before, so I had to change that in modeling for each of them. Aside from the slicer, everything is working more or less ok now, but this was really weird. I'm going to mark your response as the solution, but I don't know that anyone has been able to really find the root of this problem yet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.