Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sing_ideas
Regular Visitor

Error Msg : Column Exceeds 16000 limit but there are only 100 colmns in the excel table

Hi,

I tried to import the excel file into the power bi, the excel file contains few 10 tables with less than 100 columns all put together.

Rows are 600 nos per table. But I get the below error message saying the number of columns in your data model exceeds 16000 limit set in options. How to resolve this?

2017-06-14.png2017-06-14 (1).png2017-06-14 (2).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sing_ideas,

Does providing the same name to sheet and table creates a conflict?
Yes. If you have a tbale name with the same name as you sheet, when connect to this excel file, Power BI will rename your table name.
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@sing_ideas,

Are ther any blank columns or hidden column in your excel table? You can open a new excel file, and copy the columns and rows from RetirementGoal to new excel file, and check if this issue persists or not.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi, I went to query editor in PowerBI Desktop and noted in the table it has reference to the entire sheet in the formula bar, then realized that I have selected the sheet instead of the table because the both the sheet and table got the same name. Surprisingly, table with the same name is not reflecting in the Get Data process. Does providing the same name to sheet and table creates a conflict?

Thanks for your reply.

@sing_ideas,

Does providing the same name to sheet and table creates a conflict?
Yes. If you have a tbale name with the same name as you sheet, when connect to this excel file, Power BI will rename your table name.
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.