Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AmberM
Helper II
Helper II

Error Message in Calculation: A function 'MAX' has been used in a True/False expression that is used

I am receiving an error message in calculation: "A function 'MAX' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed."

How do I fix the following formula so that I can create a time period slicer for Last Week, Last 4 Weeks, Last 12 Weeks? My data is at a week number level, not a daily level.

Sales[Week] = 201804, 201803, 201802, 201801, etc

DatePeriod = 
 UNION(
     ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(Sales,MAX(Sales[Week])-1),Sales[Week]),"Period","Last Week"),
     ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(Sales,MAX(Sales[Week])-2),Sales[Week]),"Period","Last 2 Weeks"),
     ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(Sales,MAX(Sales[Week])-4),Sales[Week]),"Period","Last 4 Weeks"),
     ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(Sales,MAX(Sales[Week])-12),Sales[Week]),"Period","Last 12 Weeks"),
      ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(Sales),Sales[Week]),"Period","All Other")
 )

This is the original calculation that I am trying to modify to rollup at a week number level:

http://analyticsavenue.com/power-bi-timeperiod-slicer-for-last-7-dayslast-30-days/

DatePeriod = 
UNION (   
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Dates' , DATESBETWEEN('Dates'[Date],today()-07+1,today()) ), 'Dates'[Date]),"Period","Last 07 Days")  ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Dates' , DATESBETWEEN('Dates'[Date],today()-14+1,today()) ), 'Dates'[Date]),"Period","Last 14 Days") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Dates' , DATESBETWEEN('Dates'[Date],today()-30+1,today()) ), 'Dates'[Date]),"Period","Last 30 Days") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Dates' , DATESBETWEEN('Dates'[Date],today()-90+1,today()) ), 'Dates'[Date]),"Period","Last 90 Days") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Dates'), 'Dates'[Date]),"Period","Overall") 
)

Any assistance is a appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah, OK.  It's a calculated table, not a measure.  You enter the formula in the status bar when creating a table...

image.png

Then you use the Period field in your filter...

image.png

And set up the relationship to the calculated table...

image.png

This was your problem all along I think.  Your original formula is actualy fine if you do it like this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RobertSlattery
Resolver III
Resolver III

Yes, this is an error because CALCULATETABLE is expecting a filter and you are passing a single value.  You need to create a filter.

Modifying the original example (which I can test)...

WeekPeriod = 
VAR d0 = TODAY()
VAR w0 = VALUE(YEAR(d0) & FORMAT(WEEKNUM(d0), "00"))
RETURN
UNION (   
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] = w0) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last Week")  ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 - 1) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 2 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 -3) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 4 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 - 11) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 12 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date'), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Overall") 
)

You can control the sort order of your filter by adding a sort key column...

WeekPeriod = 
VAR d0 = MAX(FactInternetSales[TransDate])
VAR w0 = VALUE(YEAR(d0) & FORMAT(WEEKNUM(d0), "00"))
RETURN
UNION (   
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] = w0) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last Week", "sortKey", 0)  ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 - 1) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 2 Weeks", "sortKey", 1) ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 -3) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 4 Weeks", "sortKey", 2) ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date' , FILTER('Date',[YearWeek] >= w0 - 11) ), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Last 12 Weeks", "sortKey", 3) ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Date'), 'Date'[Date]),"Period","Overall", "sortKey", 4) 
)

...and selecting the sort order for the Period column

image.png

This doesn't handle year boundaries however, so a better strategy is to add a column for the start date of the current week using

VAR d0 = MAX(FactInternetSales[TransDate])
VAR wd0 = d0 - WEEKDAY(d0, 2) + 1
VAR _date = ADDCOLUMNS('Date', "Week Starting", [Date] - WEEKDAY([Date], 2) + 1)
RETURN
    UNION (   
        ADDCOLUMNS( FILTER(_date, [Week Starting] = wd0),"Period","Last Week", "sortKey", 0)  ,
        ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(_date, [Week Starting] >= wd0 - 7),"Period","Last 2 Weeks", "sortKey", 1) ,
        ADDCOLUMNS( FILTER(_date, [Week Starting] >= wd0 - 14),"Period","Last 4 Weeks", "sortKey", 2) ,
        ADDCOLUMNS( FILTER(_date, [Week Starting] >= wd0 - 21),"Period","Last 12 Weeks", "sortKey", 3) ,
        ADDCOLUMNS( _date,"Period","Overall", "sortKey", 4) 
    )

The relationships are the same idea as the original...

image.png

I really, really appreciate the time you are taking to assist me! 

Now I get a different error message once I modify your calculation. I have included a link to the practice database I am working with. All of this is based on a custom fiscal calendar year that begins, for example 01/28/16 - 01/26/17 (FY 2017).

This is why I am struggling to use the DAX Date/Time and Time Intelligence functions.

Sample data set:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoY5sA-v6cUciEOYS-NvMrcINYu1

New calculation error:

WeekPeriodError.png

Here is the calculation I used:

WeekPeriod = 
Var w0 = MAX(Sales[Week])
RETURN
UNION (   
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Sales' , FILTER('Sales',Sales[Week] = w0) ), Sales[Week]),"Period","Last Week")  ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Sales' , FILTER('Sales',Sales[Week] >= w0 - 1) ), 'Sales'[Week]),"Period","Last 2 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Sales' , FILTER('Sales',Sales[Week] >= w0 -3) ), 'Sales'[Week]),"Period","Last 4 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Sales' , FILTER('Sales',Sales[Week] >= w0 - 11) ), 'Sales'[Week]),"Period","Last 12 Weeks") ,
   ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( CALCULATETABLE('Sales'), Sales[Week]),"Period","Overall")
)

Ah, OK.  It's a calculated table, not a measure.  You enter the formula in the status bar when creating a table...

image.png

Then you use the Period field in your filter...

image.png

And set up the relationship to the calculated table...

image.png

This was your problem all along I think.  Your original formula is actualy fine if you do it like this.

It figures I was overlooking something so simple! Thank you for all of your assistance! Works perfectly now!

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AmberM

Try replacing MAX with LASTDATE

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Unfortunately that didn't work either. This is the error message I received. The data is based on a yyyyww level. Good idea though!

new error message with LASTDATEnew error message with LASTDATEoriginal error message with MAXoriginal error message with MAX

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors