Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error Message: Value Encoding Error - Data ID Range is too Large

Good afternoon,

*I searched for similiar posts but not much seems out there regarding this error, except that it could be something with underlying data.

*I run 8GB Ram, i7 processor, using power bi desktop.

Any thoughts on what the below means?  I was importing several Excel files from a folder.  I'm thinking it could be a memory limit or data limit.  The underlying data seems fine.

Value Encoding Error - Data ID Range is too Large.PNGThank you,

Jaes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jkaelin,

I think this should related to query editor transform operations, have you enabled any advance transform operations in query editor?(combine, merge, append, refer other query, custom functions)
BTW, I test to get data for excel table with hundreds of columns but can't reproduce your issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jkaelin,

How many characters 'data id range' column stored? How many columns? Can you please provide more detail informations?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I don't have a column labeled, "Data ID range".  I believe this is a microsoft error.  The table has 80 columns.  Sorry if I didn't initially provide enough information.  

I guess I'm asking if their is any source that explains errors so I know best where to troubleshoot?

Thank you,

Hi @Jkaelin,

I think this should related to query editor transform operations, have you enabled any advance transform operations in query editor?(combine, merge, append, refer other query, custom functions)
BTW, I test to get data for excel table with hundreds of columns but can't reproduce your issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft

Thank you for your help.  After an extended period of testing, it appears some values have an extensive character length.  Although not resolved, I was able to pin-point the columns.  This thread helped me narrow down the troubleshooting.  Thank you.

Hi @Jkaelin ,

I'm with the same problem as you were.

Could you please tell me what did you do to find the value with an extensive character length?

Thanks!

I had to count how many characters were in the some columns.  I used Power Query to trim the character lenght in some of the columns that had long names.  That may help!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors