Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jgrothaus
Regular Visitor

Error Message - Could not start properly due to errors with named pipe connections.

I have installed and reinstalled the desktop software several times with the same result.  After installation, I am able to access and the create reports.  Next day when clicking on the icon to open I get the error message:  Could not start properly due to errors with named pipe connections.  I have clicked on the help link from the error message and installed and reinstalled the gateway as well several times with the same issue.  Day one everything works great, day two get the same error message.  Would like to have a reliable report system that does require constant uninstall/install to work.

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jgrothaus,

Have you tried running Power BI Desktop with administrator privilege which should allow Power BI Desktop to successfully launch in this scenario?

Regards

I have, but any reports I created and to connect to data I get an error: Unable to Open Document it goes on to say it the file has been renamed, moved or deleted.  

Hi @jgrothaus,

For further troubleshooting this issue, could you go and check if you still get the "Unable to Open Document" error when you create a new report with administrator privilege, then close and reopen it again also with administrator privilege? Smiley Happy

Regards

I created and ran a report as administrator, saved the report and was able to open it up again as an administrator.  It seems that the issue arises as the Power BI desktop only can see my C drive.  I have a network drive where the database and all models are located.  I can not access the network drive as an administator. 

Was this ever resolved?  I am running into the same issue after installing the latest version of Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.