Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrianVT
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error: Cannot load model

Beginning yesterday, I'm getting an error "We couldn't connect to your DirectQuery data source or internal model.  Double-check that your server and database names are correct, and that you ahve permission to access them."

This error pops up when opening my PBI file.  The file is only connected to excel files on my desktop.  This is not a published file.  I'm the only one accessing it from this location.  I haven't changed anything in the connections that last couple days.  It seems like some kind of update to PBI got pushed to my computer, but hard to tell.

Anyone know what to do with this error?  I can't do anyting in PBI right now, and am supposed to present/drive a meeting today.

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello you could solve? The same thing happens to me!

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi   @BrianVT ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianVT ,

You may upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.81.5831.821.  Then reopen the pbix file,  go to File-> Options and settings-> Data source Settings, click Clear Permission for the data source that you don’t need.

105.png

For the broken visuals, you may check if there are related incorrect or missing columns or measures in Fields pane.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BrianVT
Resolver I
Resolver I

So, here is something really strange to add.  A couple days ago, in Microsoft Outlook, I selected an option to encrypt all outgoing messages (requirement for work; either do that, or check that on every message I send).  Well, I just decided to turn that off on a whim, restart, and I was able to get into PBI without the error popping up.  No idea how they're related, unless there is just some security interaction on my computer causing issues.

However, even though the error isn't coming up anymore, I see some issues in my reports in my file.  Like some of the slicers are saying they're broken, and I have to go delete them and make a new one.  That is working in some cases, but not all.  Really strange.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

May desktop released yesterday. Open Power BI Desktop and check File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

2.73.5586.984 64-bit (September 2019)

This is a Govt laptop that can only get pushed stuff (can't install on my own)

@BrianVT I have seen this issue, can you make sure enhanced metadata under preview is turned off.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I don't have those same options under Preview Features.  Only these six:

Shape map visual

Spanish language support for Q&A

New web table inference

Incremental Refresh Policies

Enable Q&A Live Connect

Personalized visualizations pane

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.