Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

giorgilomidze
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error: Cannot convert value 'Oct' of type Text to type Date.

I am creating calculated column from "datetame" type  column and want to show only names of month, but i'm getting this error: Cannot convert value 'Oct' of type Text to type Date. 

Calculated Column = FORMAT(PRXGetFinishedRequestsView[REQUESTCREATETIME],"mmm")

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @giorgilomidze

Are you sure your REQUESTCREATETIME column is date time?  The error suggests it might be text already.

If it is text and only as values such as "OCT" then you can use the following calculation to convert

Calculated Column = FORMAT(DATEVALUE("1/" & PRXGetFinishedRequestsView[REQUESTCREATETIME]),"MMM")

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @giorgilomidze

Are you sure your REQUESTCREATETIME column is date time?  The error suggests it might be text already.

If it is text and only as values such as "OCT" then you can use the following calculation to convert

Calculated Column = FORMAT(DATEVALUE("1/" & PRXGetFinishedRequestsView[REQUESTCREATETIME]),"MMM")

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I am not sure if you saw my original reply............

So i have a report user in Germany. the parameter value is coming over as "okt" instead of "oct".

I'm wondering whether or not your solution will work in this case!

are you ready for this? we are in the US and we have a customer accessing a report in Germany and the parmeter is coming across as "Okt" instead of "Oct".  Will this solution work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.