Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jadewind
Helper I
Helper I

Error: Can't determine relationships between the fields

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

I have been trying to display a table with two fields: Person and Items by using above model. However the visual cannot displayed due to subject error. How can I make it work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jadewind

Is it not possible to combine the Age Cateogry, Age and P tables together using the Query Editor?

This will then allow you to view the data the way you want?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You should set the relationships between Age and Age Category Bidirectional. This way it allows the filter from Age to propogate towards age category.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks for your prompt reply BhaveshPatel. I have tried that and it doesn't work. I have also tried bidirections on other relationships and couldn't make it work either. So below is the relationship now, and the visual I wish to display:

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Anything else I can try?

Hi @jadewind

Is it not possible to combine the Age Cateogry, Age and P tables together using the Query Editor?

This will then allow you to view the data the way you want?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes I was able to join tables to work around the problem. But just wondering how I can do it without joining tables....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jadewind, have you found a solution without using join?

Hi caaarlos, 

I haven't. I guess the reasion I couldn't do it using my original model was because the relationships were not one to one. I have since found in some cases where the relationships were one to one I could achieve it. Maybe when the relationship is one to many PBI doesn't know which one I want to pick so it just doesn't do it. 

I have found myself using "merge" very often now...

Hope this helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jadewind,

My model relationship is also many to many. @v-shex-msft suggestion worked, but has some drawbacks. Like I said on his answer I cant use don't summarize on all columns. I agree with you, merging tables, right now, is the best solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors