Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mapko
Helper I
Helper I

Equivalent to QV's Alternate State

All,

Hopefully someone can give me an idea how to address the following challenge in PBI. In QV I would use Alternate State to solve this.

Background: I am building balance sheet and income statement analyses in PBI. Requirements are to build BS and IS reports for:

a) a selected company;

b) peer companies (peers are companies that are in the same sub-sector/sector as the main company that is being evaluated); and

c)provide a way to manually deselect a single or more companies from the peer review

Data model:

1) Two fact tables (BS & IS with fields: company + account code + year)

Dimensions:

1) Company master (2 fields: company name + hyperlink)

2) Company & sub-sector (2 fields: company + sub-sector code. one company can have one or more sub-sectors)

3) sub-sector & sector (4 fields: sub-sector code&desc + sector code&desc. one sector can have one or more sub-sectors)

To put it in perspective:

I want to analyze Company A and I select it. BS and IS reports are showing figures as expected. I also select Sector 1. With this selection I see 10 peers for which PBI shows correct figures in peer review BS and IS reports next to Company A reports. Next, I select sub-sector 1.1 and now the list of peers is down to 5 companies. The peer review reports recalculate as expected. After observing the list of the 5 peer companies I need to remove 2 companies from the peer review, therefore, my peer review will recalculate peer review figure for the 3 companies I want included.

This needs to be dynamic and I can't have companies excluded in the data source or in the DAX query as some users might need to include them all while the others need to filter some out.

Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mapko It would be easier to look at if you're able to provide your pbix file. But reading from your post can you not use combination of visual-level and / or slicers to achieve this. Basically you want calculation of something that is down to 5 companies but for your instance of report you want it to be re-calculated for 3 companies while for others they may want it for all 5 companies. If that is correct you can achieve this using either slicers or visual-level filters.

@ankitpatira I envision I will need 2 separate company slicers; a main one for selecting a base company and additional one that will display related peers. Company name selection is derived from a Company field in my Company Dimension table. The question is how I can get this second slicer to work to a) display related peer companies; and b) allow to deselct from the peer evalutions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.