Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBIlearner
Frequent Visitor

Enterprise gateway refresh rate

What would be the refresh rate of the power BI Dashboards with the Enterprise gateway set up? Are we going to get realtime Dashboards or we will be able to refresh 8 times a day?  TIA.

@Baskar @Seth_C_Bauer @ankitpatira @ImkeF  @tringuyenminh92 @parry2k

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PowerBIlearner Connection types are dictated by what you choose when creating the report. In the Desktop, when you connect to files you will always be importing. When dealing with SQL or sources that allow for Direct Query, you have the option for using that. If you are using SQL Server Analysis Services then you have the option to set up a live connection. The connection types and options are based on what you are initially connecting to.

Based on those, my previous comments about refresh are the same.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @PowerBIlearner,

Refreshing frequency does not depend on gateway, gateway just handles moving data from server side to cloud. So the connection mode (Direct Query and Import mode) will define the refreshing rate.

• Direct Query is 15 mintues if there is no interaction from end-user or will refresh when they filter/interactive with charts in report. 
  • Importing mode is hourly refresh as scheduler

@tringuyenminh92 and @Seth_C_Bauer are correct.

Quick question on 15 minutes refresh, i never saw this working with direct query. I connection Azure SQL and Azure Tabular but dashboard/reports doesn't refresh by itself. I did asked this in AMA but no update from Microsoft. Am I missing something here?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k,

Reports with Direct Query mode will be refreshed every 15' with "a little bit lagging"  (as my observation, i think PBI team has changed from 15' to 40 mintues, but there is no official information about this). I mention about lagging cause there will be dependant performance from responding of your azure db. You could check this from your refresh history (start - end)

For Dashboard, that means tiles, tiles will be refreshed with lagging ~ 1 hour or more as PBI staff confirmed.

That's all what i know about refreshing time ^_^ hope someone in PBI team could share more details.

thanks for the information @tringuyenminh92

I never saw it working, even waited for hours but dashboard tiles never refreshed. 😞

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k,

Did you try to raise support ticket or something else like issue report. if not, take screenshot history refresh and actual siutation, submit it in issue forum. Hope there is a reason for that. 

@PowerBIlearner The gateway doesn't dictate refresh, it is just the conduit. The connection dictates refresh. Import - 8x per day / Direct Query or Live Connection are "live" and require no refresh to be scheduled.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer. So are there 2 types of connection after you set up Gateway? Are they Import and Direct query/ Live connection? Can we pick any of these two? How dies it work? If Import can bring data 8 times a day, what are its advantages over live connection which is Live? TIA.

@PowerBIlearner Connection types are dictated by what you choose when creating the report. In the Desktop, when you connect to files you will always be importing. When dealing with SQL or sources that allow for Direct Query, you have the option for using that. If you are using SQL Server Analysis Services then you have the option to set up a live connection. The connection types and options are based on what you are initially connecting to.

Based on those, my previous comments about refresh are the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.