Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise Gateway is not working...sometimes

Hi, I've setup the enterprise gateway and it is working...sometimes.

"Most" of the times it works, but roughly 30% of the times it fails and if I look at the log I read

Last refresh failed: Thu Oct 18 2018 09:02:00 GMT+0200 (Ora legale dell’Europa centrale) 
Your data gateway is offline or couldn't be reached.
Hide details

Processing error:Your data gateway is offline or could not be reached. Ensure the computer running the gateway is on during the refresh period.
Cluster URI:WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:6c5270f9-54e5-44b6-96ff-1198d726f3f6
Request ID:9d07a1d8-0c9e-4696-bb26-dab940b6cff1
Time:2018-10-18 07:02:00Z

BUT the gateway is not available and the row just below says "Running on [name of server]"

I'm pretty sure that the gateway is on and powerbi detects it.

Could be a timeout issue?

(The log on the Gateway, as far as I can see, does not even have a line on the hour that the connection should have happened.)

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

You may have a look at below article and post. 

Troubleshooting the On-premises data gateway

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Unable-to-connect-The-gateway-is-either-offline-or-couldn-t-be/td-p/186659

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks.

I've already looked at it, and it didn't help. Because it tells you what to do if you have an error. But I don't have an error: PBIWeb see the gateway, tells me that it's correctly configured. The gateway itselft is working and it's online and also "tests" for ports are working. Still, from time to time, it's "offline".

My gut feeling is that it's a network issue (latency?)...

Hi @Anonymous

I would suggest you to update the version of desktop and gateway and test with stable network again. You may create a support ticket here if you need further help.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks

Well, both Desktop and Gateway are the latest version...I'll open a ticket

I have exactly the same problem.

I've checked the logs - nothing there.

I've asked about monitoring tools - nothing so far.

My problem is that intermittently the Azure service, when it attepts to refresh a data set, reports "Your data gateway is offline or could not be reached". Nothing else.

When this problem occurs, all reports refreshed at that exact time fail.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to flatten and rebuild the gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and by the way, the Gateway "application" does not "see" the service running. Even if it IS running in services...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.