Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sherrybay
Regular Visitor

Enterprise Gateway: SQL server and Excel data sources used at the same time

Does the enterprise gateway support using SQL server and Excel data sources in the same Power BI file at the same time? If not, is there an update coming soon that will support this? Right now, the only way I can get refresh my reports is through a manual process using Power BI desktop and republishing. Our data is quite dynamic, so this workaround is not ideal. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got network drives set up for this.  I have a service account in AD which i give access to this folder.  If I do a remote connection to my server that is hosting the gateway, I should be able to access this folder.

Next, when you use this file in your project, you just need to make sure you are connecting to it using its Network address, instead of any mapped drives.  I.e. (//Server/Folder/File.xlsx  instead of P:\Folder\File.xlsx)

There might be other options too.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sherrybay,

Alternatively, you can store Excel file on OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online, then use on-premise gateway(personal mode) to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use an on-premise data gateway with both SQL and Excel files.  Where you store the files will be important.  As long as the gateway has access to all SQL and Excel sources, you will be fine.

That is great news. Our enterprise gateway (is that the same as an on-premise gateway?) definitely works with our SQL server database-based reports. The addition of the Excel file is the problem. Where do I need to store the Excel file? Thanks for any advice you can provide. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got network drives set up for this.  I have a service account in AD which i give access to this folder.  If I do a remote connection to my server that is hosting the gateway, I should be able to access this folder.

Next, when you use this file in your project, you just need to make sure you are connecting to it using its Network address, instead of any mapped drives.  I.e. (//Server/Folder/File.xlsx  instead of P:\Folder\File.xlsx)

There might be other options too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors