Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mibu
Employee
Employee

Entering DAX on multiple lines when creating a new table with DAX

Team,

I am trying to create a Date table with DAX as follows:

1 Date = 

2 ADDCOLUMNS (

3         CALENDARAUTO(),

4         "Year", YEAR ( [Date] )

5 )

But I seem to be able to only enter the code on a single line as follows:

Date = ADDCOLUMNS ( CALENDARAUTO(), "Year", YEAR ( [Date] ) )

Each time I put the cursor, say for example after = and hit Return...  to give myself a new line...  it just runs what DAX code is there.

Pls advise how I can code on multiple lines within...  Data...  Table tools...  New Table icon... 

Thank you!
mibu
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mibu make sure to hold down the SHIFT button if you want to go to another line 🙂

When typing measures / calculated columns / tables, you need to hold down the SHIFT and then hit ENTER to go to a new line. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi  @mibu 

If you go here: https://dax.guide/calendarauto/

I believe you are not putting the comma , at the end to show that another column needs to be added.

1 Date = 

2 ADDCOLUMNS (

3         CALENDARAUTO () ,

4         "Year", YEAR ( [Date] ) , // The comma here to the left needs to be added then you can add more columns

5 )

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Hey Theo, thanks for the link...  very helpful.

My issue though...  is that when I enter DAX I seem only to be able to do it on a single line...  rather than being able to enter on multiple lines...  by hitting Return after each entry...  do you know how I can get Power BI Desktop to allow me to code on multiple lines...  instead of on a single line...

Attached is what it looks likeOnly able to code on a single line in Power BI DesktopOnly able to code on a single line in Power BI Desktop

@mibu make sure to hold down the SHIFT button if you want to go to another line 🙂

When typing measures / calculated columns / tables, you need to hold down the SHIFT and then hit ENTER to go to a new line. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Theo

Thanks @TheoC ... so easy yet so "hidden"

Thank you sir!  Appreciate it!  best, mibu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.