Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JWedge
Helper II
Helper II

Enlighten Data Story Visual HTML help

I'm hoping someone with some HTML knowledge can help.

I am using the Enlighten Data Story custom visual to highlight portions of text.  For Data Values I am using a measure that returns a bunch of text and values that change depending on the selection of a slicer, utlimately the slicer is used to switch between various measures.

Therefore I cannot use the visual in the way it is intended however, the visual accepts basic HTML tags and including them in the output of my measure I can highlight particular words or values in bold using the <b> tag.

My question is, is it possible to apply other formatting tags such as font size, color or even more complex HTML?  Thus far I have not succeeded in applying anything other than bold formatting but this is the totality of my HTML knowledge so would appreciate if anyone with expertise here can make some suggestions.  Made some attempts with <p> and <span> tags but either I am misusing them or they do not function in the visual.

For clarity:  with the output of the measure fed in to 'Data Values' for the visual as e.g. "the <b>fox</b> is bold", the word "fox" appears bold.  How might one apply further formatting options using HTML tags?  This could be an incredibly useful (free) visual if there is a way.  I know there are other HTML visuals but I believe they require licences to use on the service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @JWedge 

Download PBIX file with the examples below

Yes it does appear to support more complicated HTML tags and styling like font size and color.  You need to supply the values for the story as separate values though, either by individual columns or measures.

You can see in this screenshot that I've created 4 columns each containing a single piece of HTML and each one is displayed correctly in the visual

html.png

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

hi @JWedge 

Yes, your're HTML and CSS will need to be valid or they won't work 🙂

At least you can see from my examples that properly formed code seems to work as expected.

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @JWedge 

Download PBIX file with the examples below

Yes it does appear to support more complicated HTML tags and styling like font size and color.  You need to supply the values for the story as separate values though, either by individual columns or measures.

You can see in this screenshot that I've created 4 columns each containing a single piece of HTML and each one is displayed correctly in the visual

html.png

regards

Phil

Thanks for replying.  I am just supplying a single measure for the values but themeasures output changes dependant on slicer selection.  Therefore I'm applying the tags within the measure.  <b> and <br> definitely work and <p> tags seem to reset/overwrite whatever formatting has been set witin the visuals formatting options.

This gives me some things to try out.  I think I may have just been missing some ";" or ">" before.  Also not sure if I was getting the right number of "" to get the output to include the double quotes correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.