Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rustwood
Frequent Visitor

Enhanced dataset metadata feature breaks data refresh

After the June 2020 Desktop was installed on my desktop last week, none of the reports I published would refresh (Invalid connection credentials, Underlying error code: -2147467259, Credentials are required to connect to the File source).  All of my existing reports that rely on the same data/gateway were still refreshing just fine. though.

After briefly breaking my on-premises gateway while trying to troubleshoot this and wasting a lot of time running down blind alleys, I finally stumbled on the the culprit - the enhanced dataset metadata preview feature.  It seems it was turned on by default.  As soon as I turned it off, restarted and republished, everything was fine again.

I hope this saves someone some time and frustration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rustwood thanks for sharing. I know this enhanced metadata can lead to problems and rightly it is in preview. One shouldn't turn it on until they need to test something with this new feature.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this problem. My co-worker and I have been working on the same file the past 6 months and today this problem showed up for a file we were working on. We could not open the file.

The error shows:

The file uses enhanced dataset metadata format. These models aren't currently supported in power BI report server.

What does this mean and how do we avoid in the future?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rustwood thanks for sharing. I know this enhanced metadata can lead to problems and rightly it is in preview. One shouldn't turn it on until they need to test something with this new feature.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.