Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Encoding

I created a nifty little big data extraction from multiple endpoints to ADLS gen2. I have full control of the encoding of the blobs in the data lake endpoint.

Currently I'm using iso-8859-1 (UTF-8) since I have both danish and eastern european characters in my extractions.

All files are in json format, since the schema can differ in many of the sources.

Unfortunately, Power BI does not recognice the encoding on the json files in ADSL. This leads to danish and eastern europe characters being displayed as ? in the text lines, when imported into Power BI.

When the files are opened in Notepad++ encoding is clearly UTF-8 (as expected), but how do I get Power BI to display this encoding correctly.

Alternately, how should I encode the files to make Power BI play nice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Data extracted from Dýnamics 365 CRM directly to the same ADLS behaves exactly the same. It is also UTF-8 in notepad++, but displays wierd characters in stead of the correct danish and eastern european characters.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of transforming the column to JSON, you have to use Add Custom Column and type the right expression according to this syntax:

Json.Document(jsonText as any, optional encoding as nullable number) as any

Here's the documentation of the function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/json-document

Best
D

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually worked when I changed the line above from:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Content", "JSON", each Json.Document([#"Content"], TextEncoding.Utf8)),

to:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Content", "JSON", each Json.Document([#"Content"], TextEncoding.Windows)),

Thanks, darlove!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

if you are using the function Json.Document( ... , ...)

Try TextEncoding.Utf8 as 2nd parameter.

Maybe you have to use the "Advanced Editor", to see what's really going on inside your query.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Stay safe, stay healthy, and happy holidays

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Tom,

Thank you for our speedy reply!

Where exactly ios that going to go?

let
Source = AzureStorage.DataLake("https://MyDL.dfs.core.windows.net/Endpoint/clients"),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Content"}),
#"Parsed JSON" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{},Json.Document),
#"Expanded Content" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Parsed JSON", "Content"),
#"Expanded Content1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Content", "Content", {"id", "name", "is_active", "address", "statement_key", "created_at", "updated_at", "currency", "self"}, {"id", "name", "is_active", "address", "statement_key", "created_at", "updated_at", "currency", "self"})
in
#"Expanded Content1"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of transforming the column to JSON, you have to use Add Custom Column and type the right expression according to this syntax:

Json.Document(jsonText as any, optional encoding as nullable number) as any

Here's the documentation of the function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/json-document

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi darlove,

Thank you for your reply. That has certainly broadened my understanding of Power BI.

I guess my code should end up looking something like this when implementing the adjustments you describe:

let
Source = AzureStorage.DataLake("https://MyDL.dfs.core.windows.net/Endpoint/clients"),
#"Content" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Content"}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Content", "JSON", each Json.Document([#"Content"], TextEncoding.Utf8)),
#"Expanded JSON" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "JSON"),
#"Expanded JSON1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded JSON", "JSON", {"id", "name", "is_active", "address", "statement_key", "created_at", "updated_at", "currency", "self"}, {"id", "name", "is_active", "address", "statement_key", "created_at", "updated_at", "currency", "self"})
in
#"Expanded JSON1"

Unfortunately the result is the same. I still get the special characters looking like this:

Best

Axel

Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually worked when I changed the line above from:

to:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Content", "JSON", each Json.Document([#"Content"], TextEncoding.Windows)),

Thanks, darlove!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.