Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sperry
Resolver I
Resolver I

Encode a Text field

Hi - I have a government issued unique identifer (called NHI in New Zealand). Its in the format ABC1234.

I have a data set that I would like to pseudonymise using a formula in query editor as I would like to remove the original NHI column so it is not visible to users.

I have tried using the text coding functions in power query but all return an error.

I have also tried creating a table of unique NHI values using the summarize function and creating a an index number using rankx but if I do this I cannot remove the NHI column.

Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You can create a lookup-table in the query editor where you do the things that you tried to achieve in DAX:

- reference your original table and select just the NHI-column

- remove duplicates

- add index column

That's your lookup-table now. Create a NEW query (!) where you reference your original table, merge with the new lookup-table on NHI, expand the index (your new key) and remove the NHI-column. Disable load to datamodel for your original table.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You can create a lookup-table in the query editor where you do the things that you tried to achieve in DAX:

- reference your original table and select just the NHI-column

- remove duplicates

- add index column

That's your lookup-table now. Create a NEW query (!) where you reference your original table, merge with the new lookup-table on NHI, expand the index (your new key) and remove the NHI-column. Disable load to datamodel for your original table.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.